» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Miscellaneous » Rants and Raves + Clan Talk

Post subject: NOTES ON PLAYERS
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 09:06 
Serf
Serf

MAYBE SOMETHING SHOULD BE PUT IN, ON A PLAYERS PAGE, WHERE WE READ ABOUT GAMES THEY HAVE PLAYED AND SUCH... A PLAYER RATING SYSTEM, LIKE YOU HAVE FOR THE CLANS...

SOMETHING TO RATE THE PLAYERS ON DIFFERENT THINGS SUCH AS STRENGTH? LOYALTY? ALLIABILITY? HONORABILITY? STUFF LIKE THAT...

OR SOMETHING JUST FOR US TO KEEP NOTES ON THESE PLAYERS... LIKE... DONT BOTHER GETTING FIREMANDAVE IN ANYTHING BUT A DUEL... OR WHATEVER...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Post subject: Re: NOTES ON PLAYERS
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 09:37 
Knight
Knight

Why the caps? :roll:

Anyway, I assume you're talking about some sort of system by which you give people ratings? like out of 5? and possibly reviews?

Seems like it could be ripe for abuse. I could imagine people begging people on chat to rate them up. Or just skip the middle man and use multiple accounts for it. However, I think a comment box on player pages or some such feature could be a cool feature, as long as there is a way to report abuse.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 15:15 
Investigator
Investigator

I think this or something close to it was mentioned on the forum back when we were playing AO or AOCII, when noblemaster was asking for ideas for AoCIII. I think it got shot down for the same reason that bendamaster mentioned. There was to much potential for abuse.

However, there is nothing preventing you that I know of, from forming a list on rant and rages of players you should avoid or a description of what kind a player they are or how loyal a player is.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 15:53 
Knight
Knight

yes... this idea was proposed back in v2. i don't remember why it got shot down specifically but i'll shoot it down again :roll:

how often would a player use a *review system* to praise players? here and there? maybe a few players might use it somewhat frequently?

ok... now how often would a player use a *review system* to rant against someone if the player felt he got jostled? every time.

ur looking at probably a 9 out of 10 usage for ranting against peeps, *maybe* 1 out of 10 usage for praise or *thoughtful* reviews for peeps. this is not a good idea, and it will not provide accurate reviews of players. in fact, the peeps with the *best* reviews, would be the peeps with the least reviews ;)

EDIT: NO OFFENSE MEANT TO STONECOLD!!! i think i see ur vision, it would be really cool to have a viable player review system. but the environment is just not suited for that type of thing, hence making it "not a good idea" in my opinion.. :ops:

2008 - 2018

rest in anarchy

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 17:14 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

It's like when I played on Xbox Live. I never would go to a player's profile to give them a good rating. Only a bad one if I felt they deserved it.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 03:32 
Knight
Knight

Just as Travis, I rarely go to a players profile on Xbox to give them a good review, Only to give bad ones and only if they annoyed me. The only good reviews I've given were to those that I know. And they're most likely the one people that gave me a good review.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 19:50 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I think the main points have already been listed. A rating system would most likely be used to assign negative ratings. Someone winning lots of games will most likely draw jealousy etc.

However, on the other hand, we could setup a Karma system. A Karma system will only assign positive points. Although there too, it can be abused!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 23:03 
Serf
Serf

noblemaster wrote:
I think the main points have already been listed. A rating system would most likely be used to assign negative ratings. Someone winning lots of games will most likely draw jealousy etc.

However, on the other hand, we could setup a Karma system. A Karma system will only assign positive points. Although there too, it can be abused!

Hi i am new to this site is it really possible that as you said ''I think the main points have already been listed. A rating system would most likely be used to assign negative ratings. Someone winning lots of games will most likely draw jealousy etc.

However, on the other hand, we could setup a Karma system. A Karma system will only assign positive points. Although there too, it can be abused!? is it possible??gw2 gold

Last edited by Ronald28 on 03 Aug 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 09:20 
Investigator
Investigator

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's all true.
A kama system can easily be abused. As the name represents it's kama, meant to make a player feel good about himself and does not represent his abilities.
The current system is much better but it can still be abused so that your rating is not truly represented of one's abilities. Keep in mind that the rating system is just a guideline to show you how well you play and nothing more. In any given game any player is capably of winning. At the same time the more experience you have with this style of game the narrower the range of players become who are likely to win. Still there are several factors that the rating system doesn't take into account. General speaking I like to think that there is a 500 to 600 +/- range factor. Meaning if my rating is 1500 +/- 500 to 600 points, so that any player who is 1000-2000 I can beat or can beat me.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 09:29 
Knight
Knight

kama? isn't that a word from a boy george song? kama kama kama kama kama chameleon... it comes and goes... it comes and goooooo-uhwoo-ohes! banana

2008 - 2018

rest in anarchy

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 17:00 
Investigator
Investigator

Please tell me you didn't go there. I'm going to have nightmares now.
I thought Kama was a deity of love and good future. I don't recall the culture but I want to say it's from India.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 17:40 
Knight
Knight

to boldly go... where no howard has gone before... :pal:

2008 - 2018

rest in anarchy