» Twitter
» Dev. Blog
» About Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Contests & more... » AOC: Leagues

How many people would like to see a League based on these concepts?
I would join a league based upon the general concepts presented here. 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
I would like to see more details before making a decision. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'll contribute to the conversation but I have no interest in joining. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Simply count me out. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Age Of Conquest Player's League (AOCPL) - PROPOSAL
PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 17:25 
Investigator
Investigator

The main goal of this topic is to discuss, make recommendation and point out possible problems with the Age Of Conquest Player League (AOCPL).

What that said, please make suggestions or proposals. Find fault with anything I propose and/or provide constructive comments. When I say find fault and provide constructive comments. I mean list the pro of a method, showing why it is better than the one proposed or show the cons to the ones proposed. Please don't just state I like this better than that. That's not going to win me over.

In this topic I hope to flush out the structure, methods and rules that will govern the AOCPL. I or someone else will make a proposal for a rule or method that will guide the function of the AOCPL. Everyone is welcome to comment on the pros and cons of each proposal. Some points of discussion I will put up to the players to vote on, while others the AOCPL organizers will make the final decisions on what works best. Don't get up set if your proposal isn't chosen or used. Most proposals will not be decided by a public vote, in order to maintain the integrity of the of league by separation of those who wish to play in it. As such, the organizers (decision makers) will not be permitted to participate in the AOCPL. I guess that makes this rule #1. Rule #1 is listed as PROPOSAL #5d.

When commenting on a proposal, please list the proposal number/letter you are commenting on. When submitting a new Proposal try to append it to a number/letter grouping or increment the last proposed number. Example, if you wish to propose an alternate method to PROPOSAL #1, submit it as PROPOSAL #1.1. To append a new sub idea to a PROPOSAL, such as PROPOSAL #5, submit it as PROPOSAL #5f. To submit a totally new idea, submit it as the last proposed number +1, ie: PROPOSAL #11. I may adjust these proposal numbers later to better organizer the thread.

I think that covers the introduction of the AOCPL. If you think I missed something, please feel free to bring it up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROPOSAL #1:
What is the Age Of Conquest Player League (AOCPL)?

The AOCPL is an idea that was introduced from the AOC League forum. Where there is a league or tournament that is based more upon overall game victories and not initially on single elimination. Let's have a vote on how many are in favor of this concept.

PROPOSAL #2:
The structure of the AOCPL.

I proposal dynamic structure. The structure would vary based upon the amount of interest there is from people wishing to join. The pro of this as I see it, is the organizers can adjust the structure so that almost everyone who wants to join will be able to join. Con, this means more work for the organizers and will give cause for more players to complain, since a human will be dynamically adjusting the structure. But if done right, there should be no cause for complaint. A fixed structure of let's say 32 means, if 47 players want in, 15 will be left out.

So, here's the idea I had for the structure. The league is broken down into 4 conferences, possibly 2 conferences if there is not enough players for 4. Each conference is then broken down into 2, 3 or 4 divisions. There would then be 4-5 players in each division. By varying the number of conferences, divisions, and players in each, the league organizers can better accommodate those who wish to participate.

PROPOSAL #3
Schedule of games.

Each player would play each player in their conference once and each player in their division twice.
EXAMPLE:
Assuming a structure of:
4 conferences: North, South, East, West
3 divisions within each conference: Left, Center, Right
5 Players in each division.
We get:
North Left: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
North Center: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
North Right: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
South Left: 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
South Center: 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
South Right: 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
East Left: 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
East Center: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
East Right: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
West Left: 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
West Center: 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
West Right: 56, 57, 58, 59, 60

So in this structure, it would be a 60 player league. The players in North Left division (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) would play each other twice. They would then play each player in the North Conference (North Center and Right) once. Therefore, each player would play a total of 20 games. 10 of those game against players in their own division and the other 10 against outside of their division but within their conference.

PROPOSAL #3.1:
If the AOCPL is small enough, then perhaps everyone could play against everyone, with something like the top 4 advancing to the championship round.

PROPOSAL #4
Championship games. The player with the best record, most wins from each division, will get to advance into the championship round. 3 divisions in 4 conferences gives us 12 total divisional champions, who would advance into the championship games. Championship game will then be a ladder structure, single elimination games.

PROPOSAL #4a
Tie Breakers. If two or more players tie for the most victories in their division. Then we should have a tie breaking system and a tie breaker for the tie breaker, going at least 2, 3 or 4 tie breakers deep.

One of the tie breakers we can be, in addition to keeping track of the overall wins/losses, we can keep track of wins/losses within their division.
Example: If Player 2 has a 12/8 record and Player 5 also has a 12/8 record, but Player 2 has a 5/5 record within his division and Player 5 has a 6/4 record with his division. Then Player 5 would win the division and gets to advance to the championship round.

PROPOSAL #5
Who can join?

Well, hopefully we determined that the organizers and the sponsors can't join. Since a system such as this requires time and people who are committed to participating from start to finish. I make the following proposals:

Paid members only.

Paid members will add stability and I do favor this one.

PROPOSAL #5a:
1500+ higher rating

Personally I could care less if newbies join. I think if you have a paid account your play should be stable enough. However, I bring this proposal up as other people may have other ideas or see things differently than I.

PROPOSAL #5b:
Players with integrity.

I feel the AOCPL should have players in it who are not just good competitive players but players who are deserving of the extra work and effort that AOC brings to it's player community. Therefore, anyone who is caught with multiple accounts, using inappropriate language or otherwise breaking any of the rules and regulation of AOC. Should be denied entry to join and will immediately be disqualified and removed from the AOCPL if they are found breaking the rules.

In regards to past offenders, I realize that people make mistakes, some more than others and there is always the one time, oops, I didn't know about that. So to those people I say, there should be a 2 year probation period. If they can stay in good standing for 2+ years they will be permitted to join.

PROPOSAL #5c
I think the AOCPL organizers should reserver the right to permanently ban any player from joining who shows an unwillingness follow the rules, don't learn from their mistakes and is a repeat offender.

PROPOSAL #5d:
AOCPL Organizers and AOCPL Sponsors should not be permitted to join and play within the AOCPL.

I favor this proposal. This is not open to a public vote but everyone is free to comment on the pros and cons and to make alternate proposals if they think they have something that works better in this role.

PROPSOAL #5e:
Based upon proposal #10, a player's paid account would be required to have access to both the Clan and League realms. Accounts that are restricted and can not access these realms would not be permitted to join.

PROPOSAL #6
Seeding of players. I'm open to people's suggestions on this.
I see where we could do this based upon the region of the world that the players live in.
I see where we can do it by rating, highest, goes into the North Left, the next highest into the North Central, and so on until all divisions are full.
It can also be done by clans. Where each clan is given their own division. For example the West Right division could be renamed the Slayers division. I should mention that for the time being, my whole North. South, Left, Right nomenclature is just for the examples.
I could also randomly roll some dice if people trust me to do so.

PROPOSAL #6a:
How do clan members get seeded?

I see no reason why this should be a factor unless there is an unusual high percentage of players from the same clans. If the AOCPL has an unusually percentage that is out of the norm for the size of the AOCPL, then this could be a problem. So for now, I'm thinking it's not a factor but it could be. So we should have a rule on the books for it just in case it is needed, so a rule should be proposed for it.

Off the top of my head, we could ask only X members from a clan can join, where X is the maximum number that will be permitted. Pro is it keeps the playing field balanced. Con, it limits the extra clan members from joining. Another idea is to let them all join, but they are all given their own division; Pro no limitation, Con? Any other suggestions or proposals to this concept?

You ask why should there be any rule on clans members joining? Using the examples above. If clan abc is allowed to have 12 players to join in a 60 player league. That's 20% of the league is from this one group! Not really fair to everyone else for them to have such a high showing. Clans in general are more active in AOCIII and thereby are usually better players. So let's say clan abc has good players, in fact the top 12 players that could put one member of abc in each division. If they all win their division, then the championship games is nothing but clan abc. Why would anyone want to play in such a league knowing that a certain group is going to dominate it? So from my point of view, it's more about balance. It may be unfair to the clans but it's fair to the organization and the other players who want to play in it. So you now know where I stand initially. Let's hear what everyone else thinks.

PROPOSAL #7
When does the AOCPL start?

No start date is set. I would like to see the structure, method and rules flushed out before we set a date. However, I'm thinking with the AOC League having done their stuff in March, and Noble Master Games celebrate AOC in May. I'm thinking the AOCPL would start in the late Fall, like in October?

PROPOSAL #8
Sponsorships and awards.

I'm perfectly fine seeing this being done for nothing more than bragging rights. However, if anyone wishes to sponsor a prize for the winner(s). Then this is the time for people to step up and volunteer. I think the sponsor should fall into the same category as the organizers, that being they should not be permitted to play in the AOCPL if they are sponsoring it.

PROPOSAL #9
maps?

I'm thinking each division would play on a different map. This would be like having home field advantage to players in that division and this would provide the AOCPL with multiple maps for a change in pace. Maps chosen would need to be balanced and approved by AOCPL organizers. Maps assigned to a division would be assigned randomly. In our Example, there would be 12 different maps for the standard games plus one map for the championship round.

PROPOSAL #10
Where will the playing be done?

The standard seasonal games would have to be set up by hand. This most like will happen in the Clan Realm. The championship round, I'm thinking can be set up and handled in the League Realm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of these proposals would need to have the specifics flushed out but right now let's see if we can agree on the concepts and then proceed to the specific.

Post subject: Re: Age Of Conquest Player's League (AOCPL) - PROPOSAL
PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 17:59 
Freeman
Freeman

The simpler rules, the better. I for maximum transparency and simplicity. I believe that in the League can play all comers, including sponsors. The organizers - the difficult question...Need to think about. Do not need additional steps, practice shows that, even at this stage (1/4), some players don't play.