» Twitter
» Dev. Blog
» About Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Retro Commander (RCO)

Post subject: tropical storm front - LAN GAME - errors
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 12:07 
Serf
Serf

Whenever I try to host a lan game on my device, it says cant make connection to match.operationstormfront.com:2399

How can I fix this?

Im connected to my wifi btw, and this is on a Samsung mobile device

Post subject: Re: tropical storm front - LAN GAME - errors
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 20:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Sorry for the troubles. I tried too, but I am having connection problems as well. Seems it takes too long to establish a connection. I don't think it's you, I assume there will probably others having trouble connecting as well.

Can you wait 12-24h and see if it works then? I think there might be some routing issues to the match-making server. The game's server is up & running but somehow depending where you are, it's difficult to connect.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 23:13 
Serf
Serf

I’ll check up on this in 12-24 hours, but I’ve been having this issue for a few months now... it used to work well a 2-3 years ago but all of a sudden I can’t host any lan games because of it =/

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 13:20 
Serf
Serf

I tried it again, but no luck. I don’t know what’s wrong=/

When I did it on my brothers tablet it worked but on mine it doesn’t. We both have the latest samsung / android software. How come he’s able to host a game and I’m not? I’m also unable to find or join his lab game despite being on the same wifi network as him. (I’ll if this has to do with anything but both of our usernames are “root.” We both have our own paid versions of the game from the play store, fully updated. We tried reinstalling and so on, but nothing changes. He can make lan games but I can’t )

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:09 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Sorry again for the troubles. I managed to get it working again on my end. Not sure, I think it has something to do with the route to the server, i.e. not being able to connect.

From what you describe, your configuration should be OK. Both being "root" shouldn't matter.

I was actually able to connect today, although not always. Not sure why? Also, I tried to connected via mobile internet (not WiFi), that might work. Does connecting via mobile internet work? Is it possible that there is a firewall on your WiFi router that blocks connections. It's a direct socket connection to the match-making server which might look dubious (not http) and might be blocked?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:15 
Serf
Serf

I kinda figured it out.

The problem was whenever I had my tropical storm front app on at the same time as my brother, my app wouldn’t be able to connect or host any lan games. If made him exit his app and only mine was on, I was able to set up a lan game successfully, and then he turned on his app and joined successfully.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:16 
Serf
Serf

A few questions, Im not so hot with computers, how do I check my firewall? And do you know why my solution worked?

Sorry for bothering you like this, I just don’t want this to happen again

On second thought, I’ll try to figure out my firewall settings myself

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:49 
Serf
Serf

Okay so I've checked for any firewalls on my router, there were none. No connection is blocked.

As for a mobile network, like a mobile hotspot, I do not have access to one and I'd rather not become reliant on one to play lan games. ( I did try the mobile network suggestion, but it was the same result. The second another device came onto tropical Stormfront on the same network, my tablet became unable to host or join lan games.)

I've also verified that the only way my device is able to host a lan game is if it is the only device logged onto a tropical Stormfront on my wifi network. If another device accesses tropical Stormfront on the same wifi network as my device at the same time, my device will become unable to host or join any lan game, no matter how long I wait

I'm sorry for messaging so constantly but this issue has been boggling my mind for so long and it feels like it shouldn't be happening, even with the confirmation that my firewall doesn't block anything and the fact that other devices are able to make the connection while mines are not

If it helps, whenever my tropical storm front becomes unable to locate or host lan games, the multiplayer screen will only say "scanning for games..." and never "No games found, scanning..."

This message doesn't ever change, and nor does the fact that my tablet can't join or host lan games until all other devices have left their tropical Stormfront apps

Sorry if this sounds confusing..

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 22:56 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
If it helps, whenever my tropical storm front becomes unable to locate or host lan games, the multiplayer screen will only say "scanning for games..." and never "No games found, scanning..."
It somehow cannot connect to the match-making server and download the games list. It errors out (timeout) and just keeps saying "Scanning".

I don't quite know why. It's odd that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Maybe some bad internet connection (not you, but the route to the server)?

If there is no firewall on your WiFi router, then that's probably fine. The connection must get stuck somewhere? If you are on a PC (or Mac/Linux), you could try to trace the network connection, e.g. via tracert match.operationstormfront.com and see where/if it gets stuck. I guess there is probably something for Android as well?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 19:06 
Serf
Serf

I tried trace routing the address you sent me, both on my laptop and on my android devices. They all successfully made it the final destination.

I went to confirm AGAIN if I could host and join lan games with my tablet and my brothers tablet and the same resulted.

If both electronics are on tropical storm front, one will be able to host and join lan games while the second one, which is my tablet, is stuck on the “scanning for games...” text screen in the multiplayer tab

My router works very well. I’ve tried doing this at a friends house the other day and the same resulted(see above paragraph). Mobile networks don’t work either nor does reinstalling the games (see above paragraph for result). I’m not really sure what’s happening because nothing is adding up with the issues I’m having atm