Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Other Games

Post subject: FootHold: Pre-alpha first playable available online
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 13:21 
Serf
Serf

FootHold: The Essence of War

A map based strategy wargame.

I'm developing this game in my spare time but the first playable is up. I have to create the games and its a rough text interface so is only for serious enthusiasts to help me with game design and map building at this early stage. I'll open it for beta testing when the required features have been added.

As I've used HTML5 to quickly prototype the interface, I'm afraid it only currently works on recent versions of Firefox. I will worry about browser compatibility (or perhaps build an app instead) once the game-play is refined to my satisfaction.

Its a free forever game with no ads.

Post subject: Re: FootHold: Pre-alpha first playable available online
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 19:27 
Investigator
Investigator

Sounds good. Not sure I really have the time now to beta test. However, do keep us all posted on any new developments you make. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: FootHold: Pre-alpha first playable available online
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 22:09 
Serf
Serf

The second playable (revision 70) brings more fun to FootHold.

You can see your orders on the map with flashing arrows and colours and you can create games. Orders are verified and displayed as you enter them. You can review all of your past orders during the game and if you view a completed game you can view everyone's orders.

I've also updated the rules.

The AI does not build its economy or manage its troops as well as you can. Defeat it either by rushing (dangerous if other players can join the party) or by building a good income up and focussing on reducing the opponent's income.

Empty territories are more valuable than you might think. Each territory next to the territory being attacked gives a 20% bonus for its side and every three territories controlled by your side will make another order possible (once you get above your order minimum). You can also get more orders by building more footholds. Each foothold you build increases your order minimum by three.

I was going to introduce graphic order entry and turn time limits in this build but I've decided to spend some time researching slippy maps. These will give a much better performance than SVG on more detailed maps (making hundreds of players on a map much more practical) but they are pretty complex so I have quite a bit of reading to do to see if its worth making the switch. Sorry the game map makes FootHold look like 'yet another risk game' - the board was handy when developing the game so I used it for the first map - probably not a good idea with hindsight and, whether I go with slippy maps or not, I'll be adding some new maps very soon.

Have fun!