» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Miscellaneous » Rants and Raves + Clan Talk

Post subject: APPARENT GAME GLITCH
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 11:45 
Serf
Serf

It appears that the game has a blitch which allowed troops from one province to attack twice in the same turn. Once to provinceB and then, in the same turn, from B to province C.

Perhaps I don't understand the rules, but I would hope that someone can look into this.

sullivanjo

GAME: PHIL
REALM: CLAN
GAME MOVE: 17
DESCRIPTION: The following message log shows the details:

TURN 18 MESSAGE (sullivanjo to dag)
Dear Lord Dag123, I don't understand the last game move. Can anyone explain how RED was able to attack province 40 on this last move?

The relevant sequence of events that unfolded was

STEP 1 I successfully attacked province 39 from province 36.
Step 2 I transferred additional troops into 39 from 40.
Steo 3 RED successfully attacked province 39 from 38
Step 4 RED attacked province 40 with all the troops that just won province 39.

How was Step 4 possible? It appears to be movement after combat (breakthru?)

Can anyone help me understand this?

Joe
TURN 19 MESSAGE (dag to sullivanjo)
Hi,
I would not think that step 4 should be possible according to what you have written, but are you sure that is what happened? I read this message one turn after you sent it so I could not check it myself.
The only explanation I can think of for this to have happened (if it did) is that I controlled province 39 when planning my attacks and that I had planned an attack from province 39 in a late step during that turn and since there were red troops in province 39 at the time that this attack were to happen the game allowed those troops to attack. If this is what has happend I would guess that this is caused by a bug in the game since these troops have been allowed to move twice...
Dag
TURN 20 MESSAGE (sullivanjo to dag)

I think your explanation is probably right. I assure you it did happen as I stated; I even reset the game turn and replayed it over to make sure I saw it correctly. In essence, the troops in province 38 attacked twice, once to recapture province 39 and then again to capture province 40.

LOL

Thanks for the reply.

Joe

Post subject: Re: APPARENT GAME GLITCH
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 13:18 
Knight
Knight

Was prov 39 already owned by the "RED" player? If so, then I believe what is happening is that this player had moved troops frmo 38 to 39 to re-inforce 39. He then attacked from 39 to 40. As long as he still owns 39 when the attack from 39 to 40 is checked/executed, then that order is still valid. If he no longer owns that prov when that order is checked, then it is canceled. I've seen this happen as well, but it's not a glitch. The game just doesn't care that he lost and then re-gained prov 39 as long as he owns it when that particular order is ready to be executed.

The game also does not differentiate which troops came from which prov. Once they've moved into prov 39, they are part of that prov's troops and are no longer considered as having moved previously. As an example, let's say you have 10,000 troops in prov A. You move another 20,000 into prov A from prov B. You also attack with 10,000 from prov A to prov C. If I attack prov A before your 20,000 reach prov A but don't capture it and therefore leave you with 100 troops, the 20,000 re-reinforcements are not considered separate. Your 10,000 troop attack order is still executed as planned.

So far, this has not been an issue. But if you feel that it should be changed, please post in the feature request section and reference this post so that it's clear what you're referring to.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 17:29 
Investigator
Investigator

I read this twice to make sure I clearly understood what happened. Basically, ImLagging is correct. There is no bug or glitch in the code. It's working according to when each order gets issued.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 19:24 
Game Developer
Game Developer

If the player previously owned that province and lost it, then regained it, it's considered a legal move. Any confirmation on that?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2012, 12:42 
Knight
Knight

aye, confirmed... was the same way in AO, i'm sure most of the old guard use it as part of their strategic a.rsenal :pal:

i had to put a period in a.rsenal :roll: apparently the first 4 letters get the censor in a huff :roll:

R.I.P.

2008 - 2018

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2012, 17:15 
Knight
Knight

Yep, it's worked this way for as long as I can remember. And for experienced players it plays into your strategy when sequencing your moves.

.............Image

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 02:25 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Are.senal is fine, but you should use "ar.se"! :roll: