» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Miscellaneous » Rants and Raves + Clan Talk

Post subject: The Moderators
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 06:39 
Serf
Serf

I know that this will probably be taken down, but I just want to release what I don't like about them AND ways they can improve. Given how the moderators like me, they will probably ignore.

1. They seem to go too far. Improvement: Instead of giving one warning/flag, give them 2 or 3 and then silence them

2. They don't look at it both sides and don't care about your evidence. When I have had issues in the past, they had barely anything to go on, they didn't have any evidence I cheated (I didn't cheat, out of all the criteria to be a cheater, I only filled one minor box(I'm looking at you PIETRYKA5)). Way to improve: Require more evidence/allow them to tell you that your are indeed in the wrong/Give them a bit of time from the first accusation to see if what you think is true/don't ban them for arguing with them

3. The announcement board. They take down messages that are more announcement than the majority of the announcement board. I suggested to have them change it to 'Game Announcements', but the two most useless and annoying mods (PIETRYKA5 and Eogum Efores) turned it down. Solution: Follow the suggestion or make it more clear.

4. Their ban times are sooooo bad. From 1 week to 1 month to a whole year (for silences). Seriously?! Solution: Make it 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months and THEN a year.

5. They are generally annoying: Solution: Be less annoying.

They will probably ignore me, but I hope they take this in and make a decent effort to change. :motz: :irre: :hilfe: :x :klugscheisser: spanking :kg:

Post subject: Re: The Moderators
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 14:16 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
1. They seem to go too far. Improvement: Instead of giving one warning/flag, give them 2 or 3 and then silence them
How much is enough though? If the 1. warning didn't work, having additional warnings doesn't really make sense. Also, being silenced for e.g. a week isn't the end of the world either.

Quote:
2. They don't look at it both sides and don't care about your evidence. When I have had issues in the past, they had barely anything to go on, they didn't have any evidence I cheated (I didn't cheat, out of all the criteria to be a cheater, I only filled one minor box(I'm looking at you PIETRYKA5)). Way to improve: Require more evidence/allow them to tell you that your are indeed in the wrong/Give them a bit of time from the first accusation to see if what you think is true/don't ban them for arguing with them
There are clear cut cases but there are also cases with a lot of grey area. The former are easy to handle, for the later we look at evidence and make a decision. I am not familiar about your case. Generally, it's not as easy as it sounds. Also, no decisions are personal.

Quote:
3. The announcement board. They take down messages that are more announcement than the majority of the announcement board. I suggested to have them change it to 'Game Announcements', but the two most useless and annoying mods (PIETRYKA5 and Eogum Efores) turned it down. Solution: Follow the suggestion or make it more clear.
I don't think we are too strict. You post linking here is still up for example (as of this writing).

Quote:
4. Their ban times are sooooo bad. From 1 week to 1 month to a whole year (for silences). Seriously?! Solution: Make it 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months and THEN a year.
What you are proposing is already the case. However, there are players were there's nothing else than "bad writing" coming out of their keyboard. We unban then, then 5 minutes later we have to start banning them yet again. It might look like they have a long ban, it's more that their unban period was very short.

Quote:
I think it's more of a "damned if you do damned if you don't" situation. Either you do too little or too much. There's no right way to please the players!

:roll: :kg:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 18:08 
Peasant
Peasant

I completely agree with you! Somewhere in May, the moderators banned me and Jacob719 said: "Now you can only play a single player game" I did not understand what happened, it was a shock to me. It turned out that they confused me with another Alexander, they did not check anything, they simply banned me.Only by miracle did I prove the truth.In September, they charged me with a gang and lowered my rating in all the tops. I tried to get something out of them, but they were too lazy to say something, I proved the truth with great difficulty.More- viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5938

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 21:49 
Serf
Serf

To answer the on question you had in there, noblemaster. 2 warnings or flags is enough to show they are serious.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 05:59 
Knight
Knight

i'll add the howard's 2 cents... since i'm probably the only player who was a manager that got silenced by another manager for allegedly "breaking the rules" lol

which was craps, but lets get to the re's... it'll be fun, i promise :)

everything i'm going state is absolutely true, if the jokes that call themselves managers wish to silence my account - go for it, i'm retired and unlikely to notice anyways, bugger off :p

Quote:

there are actually very good punishment guidelines in place, which are meant to gradually increase punishments for players that struggle to abide by the rules. unfortunately these guidelines are not always followed and manager bias does interject itself in some cases - which should NEVER happen

i'm not a big fan of the silence punishment, i unfairly had to deal with it for a couple days myself and it really affects a player's ability to play (silence is deadly in AoC, always has been). the worst part was i was silenced purely due to a manager's bias, not because it was justified (even Noble agreed my account should NOT have been silenced).

resolution - @ the managers, follow the guidelines fodder and i created for you, and leave your bias at home - it has no place in moderating.

Quote:

saw this way too much as a manager. no, most of the managers do not care if they have the proper evidence, if they think you did something wrong they will punish. there is no benefit of the doubt, players are guilty until they can prove themselves innocent. and no, players are NOT allowed to argue/disagree with the managers, because the managers are always right, and so they treat the disagreeing players like garbage. again let me state - i saw WAY too much of this when i served, most of the managers really do not even attempt to treat the players with courtesy.

resolution - @ Noble, i know it's difficult to get good help these days, but keeping around bad help will always hold AoC back. cut the fat, AoC will be better off without the bad help

Quote:

ah yes, my favorite! crimes on the announcement board is what got me silenced lol. FYI, there are actually guidelines for what players are allowed to post on the board. not that the managers follow the guidelines (any of them?), they self-determine what they feel is allowed on the board and will delete anything they personally don't feel should be allowed, and then set punishment per their personal bias. feels like there's a theme here...

resolution - this is just another example of certain managers moderating out of personal bias. see resolution for re-2, iow, managers that moderate in this manner shouldn't be managers

Quote:

i must back Noble here, the ban times can be misleading for players that insist on breaking the rules. the punishment guidelines i helped create maxed out at like 3 months for really really bad repeat offenders

no need for a resolution - the punishment guidelines are perfect, 3 laws safe until the AI gets philosophical

Quote:

i must back the managers on this... they have an annoying job to do and have to deal with some real salt of the earth degenerates that infect this game. i've never interacted with more worthless people through one medium than as a manager for AoC.

resolution - there are too many worthless degenerates on this earth to account for, the total annihilation of all humanity is the only way to resolve!

howie out, y'all enjoy...

p.s. DEATH TO THE MANAGERS! elefant

2008 - 2018

rest in anarchy

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 09:50 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I'll say there are good eggs and bad eggs, both when it comes to moderators and players. I don't think any moderators have made too grievous of an error, but to be honest I keep my distance from the drama. If a manager has made an error, I like to think the situation is usually corrected - with the moderator(s) apologizing for the mistake and compensating however they can.